Foundations Program (Skills Training & Work Prep)
CGC provides vocational education, job and skill development training and instruction through the Foundations Program. A five-month, intensive program where individuals learn and apply the skills needed to successfully enter the world of work.
Participants are educated through structured in-class sessions mirrored with placement in social enterprise partnerships that promote social inclusion. Topics covered in this program include: *customer service training, communications, conflict resolution, math and money, cash-register skills training, health & safety, workplace etiquette, food and beverage preparation and packaging, sanitation and more. The combination of work training, peer mentoring and job coaching provides the learner with an experience that encourages independence.
Upon completion, graduates are provided with a Resume containing 10 transferrable skills, an assessment and a referral to employment programs that can connect them with entry level work.
Some participants may be offered to continue as a client-partner in the social enterprises. This is offered to those who are invited by their peers to continue and only to those who have individualized funding (Passport). All funded spots are currently full (2017).
*Some programs are offered as stand-alone, fee for service programs throughout the year. Find out more hereCGC-2017-Workshop-Guide.
Program Sept to January or February to June
BRIEF PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
- A skills training and job program for individuals 18-35 years of age with developmental disabilities who are interested in gaining skills, knowledge and experience that may lead them to employment
- A program that consists of in-class workshops and hands-on training in a social enterprise that is supported by a job coach.
PROGRAM ENROLLMENT CRITERIA
- 18+ with developmental disability
- Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) Eligible Entities
- Lives within the Toronto region
- Able to travel independently, ready to be trained for employment, and works well in a group environment
- TTC oriented and/or can take the TTC independently
- This is an intensive course that requires concentration, commitment and interest.
Individuals who are interested in applying to the Foundations Program and are new to Adult Developmental Service Ontario (DSO) please call 1-855-DS-ADULT (1-855-372-3858)
Pour plus d’informations sur les services en français contacter Services de l’Ontario pour les personnes ayant une deficience intellectuelle, 1-855-372-3858
For information about services in French, please contact 1-855-372-3858
(416) 421-7117 ext. 203